Make the most of these extraordinary times and gain a nationally-recognised qualification. A short online course is a significant first step to improving your skills and achieving your career goals.
Studying Carpentry and Joinery at Brighton MET is fun, exciting and will leave you with the skills, confidence and underpinning knowledge to progress on to one of our Level 2 courses. This vocational course is will give you an understanding of construction in a wider context, as well as introducing the basics of carpentry.
You will learn key practical skills in producing woodworking joints, maintaining and using hand tools and preparing and using portable power tools. Our newly built construction centre provides industry-standard facilities where you can learn the vital skills that employers are looking for in the construction industry.
Our industry expert tutors will help you achieve the confidence and knowledge to succeed as a carpenter or joiner, as well as an understanding of the construction sector.
To start at Level 1 you should have at least at least two GCSEs at grade 2 or above, preferably including English and maths. If you do not have these grades, you can start on our Construction Foundation course and then progress to this level. Contact us if you are unsure which Level to apply for.
- Level 2 Diploma in Site Carpentry
- Level 2 Diploma in Bench Joinery
- Alternatively you may choose to do the Level 2 Site carpentry apprenticeship standard which is a 2 year course.
- Residential or domestic carpenters: specialise in new builds; renovation extensions and loft conversions.
- Commercial carpenters: build and remodel commercial and public buildings such as offices; hospitals and shopping malls.
- Industrial carpenters: work on civil engineering projects and in industrial settings; create and set forms for pouring concrete; build tunnel bracing; partitions and concrete forms for tunnels; bridges; dams; power plants or sewers.
- Bench joiners: work in static workshops; create jointed pieces of carpentry; paying close attention to detail and following technical drawings and plans.
- If you prefer the craft side of woodworking, you can move on to other areas such as furniture making, film set construction or even boat building.
You will be assessed throughout your course via practical activity observations, academic coursework and Multiple choice tests. Assessments are based around Practical tasks these include building a door and a straight flight of stairs. Your final grade will be a pass or fail although you will have a unit break down which will show pass, merit or distinction.
Steel toe capped boots, shoe’s, trainers are mandatory on all workshops, these must be brought by the learner. There are no extra costs associated on the course. All materials and equipment are supplied by the college.
*FREE* Online short courses
The applicable fees for this course, including any available discounts, will be listed in the information above.
How to apply
Once you have created an account, you can easily apply to your chosen course and track the status of your application at any time.
HOW THE APPLICATION PROCESS WORKS
Set Up Your Account
You’ll be prompted to create an account which will allow you to log in to our Application Tracker website whenever you wish. This will provide you with important information and you can also track the progress of your application.
Complete each step of the application form and then submit your completed form. We’ll let you know when we’ve safely received it with an acknowledgement email.
Application Review Meeting
Before offering you a place at college, we’ll meet with you (either in person, by telephone or online). We’ll send you a link to our booking page where you can select a time that’s convenient for you.
Accept Your Place
Offers will be sent to you via the email address you have provided. The offer will be conditional, based on predicted GCSE grades. You’ll need to accept your offer within 14 days to secure your place.
Once you receive your GCSE results, you’ll need to get in touch with the college to inform us of them and start your enrolment process.